Costa Rica is a beautiful, vibrant, exciting country in Central America. Whether you visit the coast or in-land, it has plenty to offer. Here are 10 reasons you absolutely must visit Costa Rica:
- You can swim in the basin of a waterfall! The exhilaration and satisfaction you will feel when slipping into the cool of the waterfall’s basin is unparalleled. You can wade closer and closer to the landing point and reach your arm into the rushing water as it falls from the sky, if you dare. Then in a juxtaposition of nature’s forces, at a few body lengths away from the violent fall of water lies the smooth calm of the water making its way down the river and into the rain forest.
- Stand on a volcano! My very first volcano experience was at Volcan Irazu in Costa Rica’s Parque Nacional. There, I stood at the rim of a dormant volcano, gazing out over the sooty volcanic ash that filled the crater, imagining the explosion of molten lava that once happened at this very spot. To be able to stand confidently where such danger once prevailed is awe-inspiring.
- Drink juices that are freshly squeezed from the fruit. When you can actually watch the fruit get squeezed and pressed into a glass, with nothing added or artificial, the taste is pure and naturally sweet. Not inclined to interfere with the perfection of the orange, blackberry, papaya, or any other fruit, the Costa Ricans just squeeze the juice into the glass and let the flavors speak for themselves.
- You can walk among the butterflies. The butterfly sanctuaries in Costa Rica are teeming with butterflies of every variety and every color. With some patience, you may even be able to coax one to sit on your hand!
- Soak up the tropical air. The leafy trees, the flowers bursting with pinks and oranges, the heat, and the humidity conspire to make you feel you’ve stepped into a tropical paradise as soon as you arrive.
- Eat your heart out. From arroz con pollo to a rainbow selection of salsas covering every different degree of spice, the Costa Ricans have mastered some culinary features that you’ve got to try!
- Zip-lining! On one of the world’s longest zip-lines, you’ll go soaring through the air, hundreds of feet above the rain forest tree tops, with the air gliding past your face as a reminder that in this moment you are a cousin to the colorful birds that live in this rain forest.
- You can visit a coffee plantation! When you drive up to the coffee farm, the fragrance of coffee wafts through the air, inviting you to come and try it. The small farm coffee producers are happy to show you their fields, explain their process, and let you sample the freshly brewed coffee. Some of my favorite coffee ever came from the fields of Costa Rica.
- Befriend a toucan! Visit one of the country’s animal reserves for a chance to see parrots, hummingbirds, and monkeys. And then allow your childhood temptation to pick up a toucan come to life. With their red-orange-blue beaks against their black-feathered bodies, you won’t want to miss the chance to get close to this stunning bird.
- Bathe in natural hot springs. Costa Rica’s hot springs will draw you in with their allure and promise of invigorating value, then they’ll tempt you to stay by easing your aches and stresses, sinking you deeper into relaxation as you sit in the steamy waters that were made naturally warm.
Have I convinced you yet that you must visit Costa Rica soon? I’m feeling the urge to plan a trip back now! What else did you enjoy on your trip to Costa Rica?